BryanMcPhail.com

Professional software development, amateur BMW tinkering, old arcade stuff

By

Namco Pacland arcade pcb repair #2

This pcb booted up but with corrupt graphics.  Helpfully Pacland does a self-test on startup and this one briefly printed 0 0 4 on screen (or arguably 4 0 0 as the self-test is printed upside down – to clarify the 4 is the first digit to appear).  This means a RAM error and as I have a working Pacland to compare against it was quite easy to work out what error digit corresponds to what chip.

IMG_3562 IMG_3566

Piggy-backing a replacement chip on top fixed the corrupt text and the top scrolling layer so for sure RAM was bad.  The bottom scrolling layer was now completely absent though and the self-test didn’t report any errors.

IMG_3575

As I had a working board I swapped the custom chips and tilemap ROMs between boards just to rule them out and it made no difference.  I suspected the fault was in the priority mixing circuit – this is what decides what pixel is ‘on top’ be it text, sprite or a scrolling layer.

IMG_3578

The relevant chunk of the schematics is above, essentially the sprites and top scrolling layer are mixed by custom chip 29.  The bottom scrolling layer is produced by custom chip 30 and drives the ROM at 4N.  A pair of LS298 multiplexer chips then decide what takes priority – the background layer or the sprite/foreground layer.  The LS298 selector is driven by an 8 input AND gate (LS30 @ 1N).  This is really what determines ‘transparency’ in the sprite/top tilemap layer – if any of the 7 bits are high for a given pixel then it is ‘opaque’ – all low means ‘transparent’ and the lower layer should be shown.

IMG_3579

On this board the LS298 chips and the LS30 are all manufactured by Fujitsu, which is known for a terrible failure rate.  A logic probe showed the output of the LS30 chip was dead – so the LS298′s in turn were constantly stuck.  Replacing the LS30 with one from a Dragonninja parts board fixed the problem.

IMG_3584 IMG_3585 IMG_3589

By

Technos Double Dragon 2 arcade pcb repair

I got a very clean original Double Dragon 2 pcb, but unfortunately it was completely dead.  No video output at all, and a logic probe revealed almost zero activity on the TTL chips.  After checking voltage, the first thing to do in this case is to check if the CPU is getting a clock signal – and indeed the clock pins were completely dead.

IMG_3397 IMG_3399

On both Double Dragon 1 & 2 the main CPU clock comes from a 12MHz crystal on the video board.  Probing around here again showed no activity so a suspicion is the crystal itself was dead.  Before replacing it though I checked the Double Dragon 1 schematics which showed a capacitor should be present and none was on my board.  It seems the tiny capacitor that should be at C43 (C36 in DD1) had been snapped off so cleanly it just looked like an unpopulated pad.

IMG_3403

A replacement was taken from a Dragonninja parts boards and amazingly that was the only fault – all sound & graphics were perfect.

IMG_3410 IMG_3411

IMG_3406